For use in Court, samples collected at home have been regarded as inadequate, since this requires tests to be performed in nationally accredited laboratories, where a chain of custody, and continuity of evidence can be sustained in law. For example, the New York State Department of Health prohibited any DNA testing without a full chain of custody and a request from a physician or other authorized official.
In some states, these laboratories provide documentation so than the latter conditions are met. Only web-sites offering these facilities should be included in the category Forensic_Science.
- DNA testing has largely replaced the identification by immunochemical methods of blood from species other than humans.
- For research laboratories working on bird and mammal genes
- see Science: Biology: Genetics: Eukaryotic: Animal.
- For those interested in sequencing of entire DNA
- see Science: Biology: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: Biomolecules: Nucleic Acids.