Narsarsuaq is a small community of approximately 200 residents located about 50km northeast of Narsaq. The main occupation for the residents is with the airport and accompanying hotel. The surrounding area is inhabited by sheep farmers and fisherman. Originally, Narsarsuaq was built during World War II as a United States air base code named “Bluie West One”. The former officers mess is now a museum offering a glimpse of the base from 1941-1958. In 1958 the US air base closed, but following the shipwreck of the Danish ship “Hans Hedtoft” and the loss of all on board Danish authorities reopened the airfield and commissioned a Danish Air Force station to make ice-observations and broadcast reports to ships in the area. Since January 1, 1988 the airport has been operated by the Greenlandic Home Rule.
Last update:January 3, 2014 at 15:15:05 UTC