Aasiaat is located in the southern corner of Disco Bay. With just over 3000 inhabitants it is Greenland’s fourth largest town. The town is home to a shrimp and crab factory, a ship building yard and several service institutions. The colony was established in 1759 by Niels Egede. Aasiaat was originally named Egedesminde after Hans Egede (father of Niels) who was a Norwegian missionary. The colony was originally located on the "Eqalussuit" peninsula but was moved in 1763 to Aasiaat Island where it is today. Prior to the colony's arrival, the area was home to seal hunters and fisherman.
Last update:August 17, 2014 at 20:54:26 UTC