First settled in 1785, Brockville is an historic Loyalist community. It was originally named Buell's Bay, after the founder William Buell and was Ontario's first incorporated community. In 1812 the settlement changed its name to Brockville in honour of General Sir Isaac Brock, fallen hero of the War of 1812. It has the distinction of possessing an authentic coat of arms, and is one of the very few North American cities with its own heraldic flag. Located on the St. Lawrence River at the Eastern end of the 1000 Islands, the City of Brockville, is the County Seat for the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville. It is approximately 90 minutes south from Ottawa, and 40 minutes east from Kingston.
Related categories 2
Last update:January 16, 2017 at 7:05:04 UTC