Deriving its name from George Montagu Dunk, second Earl of Halifax (1716-1771) Halifax County was established by Order in-Council on August 17, 1759. The boundaries of four other counties - Annapolis, Kings, Cumberland and Lunenburg -were specifically defined at that time, with Halifax County comprising all the part of peninsular Nova Scotia that was not within their limits. Following the Seven Years War, Cape Breton Island was formally annexed to Nova Scotia. For a time it formed part of Halifax County. The boundaries of Halifax County were modified in 1822. That part of St. Mary's Township (established in 1818) which had been in Halifax County was annexed to and included within Sydney County. The dividing line between the Districts of Halifax and Colchester was confirmed and established on May 3, 1828. In 1835, Halifax County was divided and the Counties of Colchester and Pictou were created out of parts of what had hitherto been Halifax County. Eventually in 1880 the boundary between the Counties of Halifax and Colchester was fixed.
Related categories 2
DeBay Cove and Owl's Head GenWeb
Features history, stories, obituaries, photos, and newspaper clippings.
Halifax County GenWeb Project
Research available on Halifax surnames, ships bound for Halifax from the UK, cemetery records, and obituaries.
Halifax Public Libraries
Features library information, services and programs offered, online collection catalogue, resource lists, searchable database of area clubs and organizations, job postings, and branch information and contact details.
Pete's Fine Foods
Well known British greengrocer in Bedford and Halifax. Includes newsletter, produce guide and nutrition center.
Last update:April 5, 2016 at 4:10:34 UTC