The name Cumberland was applied by Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Monckton to the captured Fort Beausejour on June 18, 1755 in honour of the third son of King George II, William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, victor at Culloden in 1746 and Commander in Chief of the British forces. The old Micmac name for the area was "Kwesomalegek" meaning "hardwood point". Cumberland County was created on August 17, 1759. When the Township of Parrsboro was divided in 1840, one part was annexed to Cumberland County and the other part annexed to Colchester. The dividing line between Cumberland and Colchester was established in 1840. In 1897, a portion of the boundary line between the Counties of Colchester and Cumberland was fixed and defined.
Related categories 1
Amherst Shore Provincial Park
On the shore of the Northumberland Strait, the park offers camping, walking, and swimming in some of the warmest saltwater swimming north of the Carolinas. Gives location, map, reservation details, and mailing address.
Cumberland County Museum
Located in the heritage home of Robert Barry Dickey, Father of Confederation, the museum preserves and exhibits the history of the county, from the prehistoric to the present. Lists hours, fees, exhibits, holdings, membership and contact details.
Cumberland County Regional Library
Includes hours of operation, contact details, and programs available for branches.
Cumberland Development Corporation
A non-profit business development center assisting county residents to establish new businesses and to purchase existing enterprises. Lists partners, services, funding, loans, capital, workshops and full contact information.
Municipality of Cumberland County
Official web presence for the municipality, which includes administration, maps, address book and economic development information.
Last update:November 21, 2016 at 6:15:05 UTC