Village in South-West Nottinghamshire, in the Broxtowe district, close to the Derbyshire border.
Parish Population (2000) est. = 2,525*
*Source = Notts County Council
Trowell was originally a Saxon settlement, believed to date back to the 10th century. Coal and sandstone were mined from Trowell moor starting in the 13th century, and coal mining continued up to 1926 when it finally ceased. In 1966, the construction of the M1 motorway went through the village, effectively bi-secting it, and the village is probably best known for giving its name to the Motorway service area that lies within the parish boundary.