The origins of Azusa Pacific University date back to 1899, when a group of spiritual leaders from various denominations met in Whittier, California, and established a Bible college geared to training students for service and missionary endeavors. This was the first Bible college founded on the West Coast. The first class of students met on March 3, 1900, with Mary A. Hill serving as the first principal. The school moved three times in its first seven years, settling in Huntington Park in 1907. The school maintained the name of the Training School for Christian Workers until 1939, when it was changed to Pacific Bible College and four-year degrees were offered. Also in 1939, Cornelius P. Haggard, Ph.D., was appointed president, serving for 36 years, until his death in 1975. By the mid 1940s, Pacific Bible College quickly outgrew its Huntington Park campus. After much consideration, the Board of Trustees decided in late 1945 to purchase the 12-acre Maybelle Scott Rancho School for Girls in Azusa. Classes began on the new campus in 1947, and in 1956, the college's name was changed to Azusa College. Azusa College merged in 1965 with Los Angeles Pacific College, a four-year liberal arts institution founded in 1903 by the Free Methodist Church. The college was then renamed Azusa Pacific College. Three years later, in 1968, Azusa Pacific College merged with Arlington College, founded in 1954 by the Association of Churches of God in Southern California.

Subcategories 1

Related categories 1

Azusa Pacific University
A Christian institution offering over 40 areas of undergraduate study, 18 master's programs and 3 doctoral programs.
Azusa Pacific University: School of Music
Information about the programs offered, and staff.
The Clause
Weekly student newspaper of Azusa Pacific University.
The Cougar's Den
Site for alumni of APU.
[School Mozilla]
Last update:
September 11, 2016 at 7:54:07 UTC
Reference
Regional
Science
Shopping
Society
Sports
All Languages
Arts
Business
Computers
Games
Health
Home
News
Recreation